[Fedora-packaging] Confused by non-numeric version in release guideline

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Jan 14 11:52:32 UTC 2009

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 10:15:12AM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

>>> I don't understand what you mean.
>> Let me turn my question around: Why can't you directly use the upstream
>> version?
>
> I'm just trying to work out the best way to do this.  Can you not ask
> cryptic rhetorical questions

These aren't rhetorical question.

My point are:
* There is nothing technically wrong with using this upstream's versioning.
* Their versioning fits well in to rpm's versioning.

=> There is no reason to introduce a diverge versioning for your packages.

> and just say why the version and release
> scheme above, derived from Toshio's one, isn't right.
It isn't technically wrong, I simply consider his proposal to be
foolish, silly and stupid.

Ralf