[Fedora-packaging] Re: Many unowned directories in /usr/share/man

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Jul 27 20:02:31 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 10:55:58PM +0300, Jussi Lehtola wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-07-27 at 22:43 +0300, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > there are some locale that are unowned under /usr/share/man. These
> > directories need to be owned by a package. Many of the more used
> > locales are owned by man/man-pages, but some more exotic are not. It
> > looks like there are about 63 unowned directories coming from the
> > following locale
> >
> > ca da eo es et gl hu id nb nl nn pt pt_BR sk sr sv tr zh_CN zh_TW
>
> Wouldn't it be best just to make 'filesystem' own the whole directory
> structure, and make the other packages just own the pages?

Yes, I agree. Also man can be removed form the system as nothing
requires it (but man-pages and redhat-lsb) and suddenly these
directories become unowned.

But I would go with any solution that doesn't push the ownership down
to the packages just offering man pages. As another packager pointed
out, the fix he now has to add to own Hungarian locale may become a
bug the moment man or man-pages get a Hungarian translation, and the
same is true of the other 18 locale.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net