[Fedora-packaging] Problem with tags for a package that does not use the %dist tag

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Wed Jul 1 15:48:26 UTC 2009

>>>>> "s" == steve  <steve at lonetwin.net> writes:

s> I decided to not use the %{dist} tag in the release number
s> versioning based on the reasoning in the ticket. This package was
s> approved and I check the package into cvs.

And in the review for one of the other packages you submitted
(javanotes) I told you that you'd have tagging problems if you did
this.  You seem to have ignored that advice.

s> Now I can build the package in the devel branch. However, I now
s> have a problem, how do I build the package for F-10 and F-11 ?

As I wrote in the javanotes review, you have to make sure that they
have different release numbers that still sort properly.  The easiest
way to do this is to use the dist tag.

s> - Do I need to create a different tag 'manually' for each of these
s> branches ?

No, just use the dist tag.

s> what is the procedure followed by other packages which do not use
s> the %dist tag ?

Manually keep track of the release numbers.  Assign release 3 to
devel, release 2 to F11 and release 1 to F10 (except that you can't do
that, since you already tagged release 1, so you'll need to start at
release 4 in devel.  And then if you have to update, you have more
pain.

You seem to think that not using the dist tag saves something
somewhere; in reality, it just causes you exactly the trouble that
you're having and doesn't really buy anything since each release is
signed with a different key and so the packages have to be different
anyway.

 - J<