[Fedora-packaging] Draft for the use of environment-modules

Milos Jakubicek xjakub at fi.muni.cz
Thu Jul 23 21:56:04 UTC 2009

On 22.7.2009 18:37, Jussi Lehtola wrote:

>> Maybe we should also discuss about the way MPI programs are packaged.
>> Some possible options:
>
> Actually, I wrote a draft for this as well. Please have a look at
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/MPI

Well done, I think you could take also some inspiration from hints made
by Doug Ledford in BZ#511099:

- what about making the $MPI_HOME, $MPI_BIN and $MPI_LIB variables a MUST?
- we should make the sample of specfile from the BZ#511099 part of the draft

Some other things that come to my mind:

- the libraries must have the suffix OR they could be installed under
%{_libdir}/%{name}/%{version}-<MPI compiler>/lib (i.e. there should
similar two choices as for the binaries)

- each MPI build of shared libraries should have a separate -devel
subpackage (having them in a single -devel subpackage would need a
require of all MPI builds for it, which is imho not good)

- the main package should be always built without MPI support, if that
is possible (i.e. a MUST would be: build at least without MPI (if
possible) and with OpenMPI)

I'm also CCing Deji Akingunola and Doug Ledford who are the  maintainers
of MPI compilers currently available in Fedora, not sure whether they
follow this discussion, but they definitely should.

Regards,
Milos