[Fedora-packaging] Environment-modules & MPI drafts

Jussi Lehtola jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 30 00:20:02 UTC 2009

Hi,

I think I am reasonably happy with the current versions of the
Environment modules and MPI drafts, as they should cover everything. The
environment module part is quite simple, the MPI part took quite some
amount of work to get everything (such as Python and Fortran modules) in
it.

For a while I was not quite sure which was better: not having an MPI
binary suffix, or having one. On one hand not having a suffix may be
easier on behalf of the user (then again running the serial version is
harder when an MPI module is loaded). On the other hand, I think that
it's better to run the wanted MPI version explicitly instead of blindly
trusting what is in the $PATH.

For consistency in binary naming we MUST have a guideline on the
suffixes. My gut feeling is that suffixing is better (normally MPI
enabled software makefiles produce suffixed binaries when MPI is on),
thus I have ended up with suffixes (if nobody has strong negative
feelings about this).

As F12 is drawing nearer quite fast, I'm hoping for these guidelines to
be decided upon ASAP, so the packaging side can be taken care of in
time.
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor