[Fedora-packaging] Packaging:SysVInitScript questions

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Jun 1 17:56:03 UTC 2009

On Monday 01 June 2009, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> Later, in the 'Required Actions' section, reload is described:
>
>     reload: reload the configuration of the service without actually
>     stopping and restarting the service (if the service does not
>     support this, do nothing)
>
> So, which is preferred?  If I have a daemon that doesn't have any way
> to reload its configuration short of restarting, should we do as the
> template shows and call restart or should reload() be a no-op?

Neither, IMO.  Instead, print an error message that "reload" is not supported
and exit with status 3.  See the template init script in rpmdevtools (invoke
rpmdev-newinit if you have >= 7.2), and http://refspecs.linux-
foundation.org/LSB_3.2.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/iniscrptact.html

    In case of an error while processing any init-script action except for
    status, the init script shall print an error message and exit with a non-
    zero status code:
    [...]
    3	unimplemented feature (for example, "reload")