[Fedora-packaging] removal of pre-built files

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Thu Jun 18 21:17:06 UTC 2009

On 6/18/09 5:03 PM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Braden McDaniel  wrote:
>
>     On 6/18/09 2:42 PM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         Toshio asked me to write up a proposal for clarification of the
>         removal of pre-built binaries. I came up with two proposals. I'd
>         like
>         to have them considered and voted separately.
>
>         https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Removal_of_pre-built_binaries
>

>     In general, this is simply a nonstarter for Doxygen-generated HTML
>     documentation.  There is nontrivial (and generally unpredictable)
>     variance in the style sheet that Doxygen generates from one version
>     to the next.  Accordingly, the interactions between this style sheet
>     any any that the package upstream may have added cannot be foreseen.
>

> That's why the statement starts with "If possible..."

It is "possible" in that one can perform the regeneration operation
without any obvious errors.  It is not "desirable" in that there is a
reasonable possibility of nonobvious errors; that is, errors that are
detectable only by viewing the generated documentation and furthermore
perhaps only readily obvious to someone familiar with how the
documentation is intended to be rendered.

The point is that, in light of this, the guideline should be that these
files should *not* be regenerated unless doing so affords some tangible
improvement.

--
Braden McDaniel                      e-mail: <braden at endoframe.com>
<http://endoframe.com>               Jabber: <braden at jabber.org>