[Fedora-packaging] removal of pre-built files

Braden McDaniel braden at endoframe.com
Thu Jun 18 21:47:29 UTC 2009

On 6/18/09 5:42 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Braden McDaniel<braden at endoframe.com>  writes:
>> On 6/18/09 5:03 PM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>>> That's why the statement starts with "If possible..."
>> The point is that, in light of this, the guideline should be that these
>> files should *not* be regenerated unless doing so affords some tangible
>> improvement.
>
> I don't think the guidelines should tell people what to do one way or
> the other.  There might be package-specific reasons why regenerating
> docs is or is not a good thing (eg, this upstream does indeed have a
> history of forgetting to update derived doc files).  I think leaving it
> to maintainer's discretion is exactly what we should be doing.

My impression is that the term "guideline" indicates that maintainers
should use their discretion.  A guideline indicates the default position
to take in the absence of information that would lead to a different
conclusion.

Otherwise they would be called "rules".

--
Braden McDaniel                      e-mail: <braden at endoframe.com>