[Fedora-packaging] Java packaging questions about rpmlint messages

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Jun 29 13:29:43 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 08:31:00 +0200,
  Jussi Lehtola <jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-06-28 at 17:48 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > I am working on packaging a java game and have a couple of rpmlint messages
> > that I am not sure if I can ignore.
> >
> > One is an error for having no binaries. I thought the java stuff was somewhat
> > arch dependent, so I thought my resulting jar file should be arch dependent
> > and that overriding the buildarch would be a bad idea?
>
> The whole idea of Java is build once, run on everything. Java is noarch
> (at least when not compiling with gcj).

I know that's the idea in theory. I wasn't planning on restricting the
rpm to just using openjdk. So in that case do I need to allow normal
arch stuff?

> > The second is a warning for including a classpath in the manifest. The original
> > package is setup to have a class path point to a library with a few included
> > jar files. Only one of these jars is needed and is already packaged for
> > Fedora. For the build process I override the property saying where the libs
> > are to point to the Fedora jar directory. But this gets left in the manifest.
>
> You need to remove the included .jars and classpaths and make the
> package use the packages in Fedora (or package the requirements in
> Fedora if it's missing at the moment).

The included jar files have been removed. I change the property that is used
to build the class path to point to the Fedora version of the need jar
file (jdom) for building purposes. However after the build the resulting
jar file still has a manifest with a classpath in it. It seems like the
only downside is you can't override the classpath when using the -jar option
to run the jar file. That's really the issue. It isn't using anything that
isn't built in Fedora.