[Fedora-packaging] Java packaging questions about rpmlint messages

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Jun 29 16:11:55 UTC 2009

On Monday 29 June 2009, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> The included jar files have been removed. I change the property that is
> used to build the class path to point to the Fedora version of the need jar
> file (jdom) for building purposes. However after the build the resulting
> jar file still has a manifest with a classpath in it.

It should be trivial to get rid of that as well, just search for a MANIFEST.MF
template used or the build.xml section that generates it, and patch it out.

> It seems like the
> only downside is you can't override the classpath when using the -jar
> option to run the jar file. That's really the issue.

It may cause other nasty and hard to debug surprises if another app uses the
jar.  Class-Path entries in jar manifests are kind of like RPATHs and should
be avoided for the same reasons, at least for jars installed in system jar
paths (e.g. /usr/share/java).
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Beware_of_Rpath