[Fedora-packaging] Pre-review Gudelines

Deepak Bhole dbhole at redhat.com
Fri May 8 21:55:04 UTC 2009

* Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> [2009-05-08 16:43]:
> On 05/08/2009 04:06 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > FESCo approved a request brought by rel-eng to allow a small set of
> > packages to be checked into cvs and built only into a side tag before
> > they pass review.  Once they are building and brought up to standard,
> > they would be put up for a full review and only then be built for the
> > distribution.
>
> Wouldn't koji scratch builds be sufficient? I'm not sure I understand
> the motivation behind this request.

Hi Tom,

A scratch build wouldn't be sufficient in case of maven due to the sheer number
of packages involved in the upgrade. When I worked on the maven 2.0.4 (current
version in Fedora) to 2.0.8, this is the most efficient route I could find:

-> yum install "maven2*" (installs 2.0.4)

	   install tomcat5-servlet-2.4-api, tomcat5, geronimo-specs

       b+i maven2-common-poms
       b+i maven-wagon
	   b+i saxpath
	   b+i backport-util-concurrent
	   b+i bndlib
	   b+i pmd
	   b+i plexus-classworlds
	   b+i plexus-utils
	   b+i plexus-containers
	   b+i modello a15
	   b+i itext
	   b+i plexus-cdc
	   b+i plexus-maven-plugin
	   b+i plexus-xmlrpc
	   b+i plexus-cli
	   b+i plexus-digest
	   b+i dumbster
	   b+i plexus-mail-sender
	   b+i plexus-velocity
	   b+i directory-naming
	   b+i jakarta-commons-jxpath
	   b+i jakarta-commons-configuration
	   b+i jakarta-commons-dbcp
	   b+i easymock
	   b+i javacvs

-> build maven2 in bootstrap mode (--with bootstrap), install that copy
       b+i maven-surefire
	   b+i maven2-plugin-shade
	   b+i plexus-resources
	   b+i plexus-naming
	   b+i plexus-registry
	   b+i maven-doxia
	   b+i maven-doxia-sitetools
	   b+i maven-shared
	   b+i maven-plugin-tools
	   b+i maven-embedder
	   b+i maven-scm
	   b+i maven-enforcer-rule-api
	   b+i maven-archiver

Where b+i => build and then install

Many of the packages mentioned above are new or need upgrades. Due to the
complex interdependencies, it would be much easier to have a separate tag into
which the above instructions are followed. It will allow for easy initial
reviews and sanity checks.

Cheers,
Deepak