[Fedora-packaging] Revised Emacs add-on guidelines

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 10:26:51 UTC 2009

2009/11/7 Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs at math.uh.edu>:

> JU> A new draft of the guidelines is here:
> JU> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/EmacsPackagingRevised
>
> These do look significantly simpler, which is generally a good thing.
> Is there a good way to see the actual diffs between this and the
> existing guidelines?  Or could you summarize them in a bit more detail?

OK, I did diff the original and revised guidelines, but it's not that
easily digested, so I'll attempt a summary.

Some of the primary concerns with (x)emacs add on packages are:
1) Correct package and sub-package naming and organization
2) Installing the files in the right places
3) Ensuring that the version of (x)emacs that was used to byte compile
the elisp files is a requirement of the package - requiring build time
detection of the (x)emacs version

With the current guidelines, points 2 and 3 were handled by calling
pkg-config to define macros at add-on package build time. This makes
use of a pkg-config file installed with the (x)emacs package.

With the revised guidelines we make use of macros in the files
/etc/rpm/macros.[x]emacs to ensure the relevant macros are defined for
add-on package building. This removes the pkg-config complexity and
removes a lot of boilerplate from the spec files.

That's the main point of the guideline update.

At the same time I've reorganised the guidelines for clarity and
simplicity. I hope they're a lot easier to follow now.

> Also, I think you might as well go ahead and remove BuildRoot: and the
> first line after %install from the templates, since they're not
> required in any supported Fedora release at this point.

OK, thanks, have done that.

Cheers,
Jonathan