[Fedora-packaging] does removing a package also remove package data?

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Wed Nov 18 17:53:33 UTC 2009

RD> Packages, in general, should not create data outside of what's
RD> managed by %files.

Of course, the devil is in the specifics.  I wouldn't expect that
uninstalling a package would remove its logs, for example.

I would hope that packagers would think about the data generated by the
running code and consider whether there's a valid reason for keeping it
around after the package is removed, or conversely whether removing it
is likely to delete something that the user expects to keep.  Actually
deleting useful data is something to be avoided at all costs.

I suspect that there's no other rules that could be applied other than
common sense and the principle of least surprise.

 - J<