[Fedora-packaging] code vs. content

Jon Ciesla limb at jcomserv.net
Fri Nov 20 19:10:27 UTC 2009

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> RWMJ> So I feel unfortunately this is a bad case.
>
> Except that it's actually a spectacularly good case, because it
> perfectly illustrates the problem.  Someone thinks this is a good
> package and wants it in Fedora.  (Either that or they're actively
> trolling us to see what crap they can push through the review process.)
> It doesn't violate any guidelines.  You happen to not like the content.
> Does that means the package stays out?  I don't personally want to be
> the quality czar, but I also don't want to see people pushing their
> vacation photos into Fedora.
>
> Isn't there already a screensaver that will work from a directory of
> pictures?  Isn't that good enough to cover all of these cases without us
> actually having to carry a bunch of pictures?
>
>  - J<
>
> --

There is.  I woke it up to read this.  Works great.  On any pictures I
want, scads of formats.

Now, write a new screensaver that does something different, and includes
these pix as the default fodder for it, and you've got something else
entirely.  I'd err on the side of keeping this out.

-J

--
in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love