[Fedora-packaging] Fedora Packaging Committee Meeting - Dec 2, 2009 - 1600 UTC

Remi Collet Fedora at FamilleCollet.com
Tue Nov 24 17:44:42 UTC 2009

Le 24/11/2009 18:20, Tom "spot" Callaway a écrit :
> On 11/24/2009 12:11 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> I am not aware about any technical reason for disallowing underscores.
>
> I'm not aware of any technical reason either. It is a personal
> preference, I think it makes the packages have a cleaner naming scheme.

I agree
(when - and _ are present at the same time, make name really awful IMHO)

> Accordingly, I have never pushed for it to be a requirement that _ not
> be used when upstream uses it in its naming, but if the PHP SIG asked
> for us to amend the PHP naming guidelines to exclude it, I would
> consider it.

There is no censensus about this (if you have some time to read the
thread linked in the previous message)

First old packages (imported when the general Guidelines wasn't clear,
and probably to do like perl packages) use only - (more than 70, ex
php-pear-Auth-SASL)

Some New recent packages use both (ex php-pear-Auth_HTTP)

So I think decision go to FPC and must be written in the PHP Guidelines

Choice :
1- package must use only -
2- package must use - at the beginning (php-pear-) and _ at the end
3- package could use - or _ according to packager pref.

And I think maintainers are not ready to enter a massive rename plan.
I'm waiting for this before submiting new review (at least 4 packages).

+