[Fedora-packaging] code vs. content

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Sat Nov 21 09:42:06 UTC 2009

Le samedi 21 novembre 2009 à 04:31 +0100, Ralf Corsepius a écrit :
> On 11/20/2009 01:22 PM, Yaakov Nemoy wrote:

> > This is really tricky since there's essentially a continuum from
> > content that has no purpose in Fedora (project Gutenberg) to content
> > that must be in fedora (default wallpapers). Just my 0.02 EUR in the
> > situation, i wonder if it is a good idea to start up a third party
> > repo, like the Repo-He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named that provides everything
> > that's questionable from a purpose perspective.
> Yes, this idea also had come to my mind. The more I think about it, the
> more I like it.

Well I don't, unless you decide to evaluate the "purpose" of every
binary in Fedora. The "purpose" of "content" is that someone found it
useful enough to jump through the hoops of Fedora packager sponsorship
and Fedora review. Just like the "purpose" of a random binary.

When you see the stuff that ends in the repo nowadays I don't see why
"non-code" packagers should be guettoized just because they're not
dealing with exalted code such as an nth broken music player, MUA,
<insert random crap we package here>.

The "code" vs "content" terminology is completely broken. No one really
defined what "code" was. So people take "code" for "stuff produced by
coders", and anything else, even if it's useful to our target audience,
even if it's produced through a similar process to C code, even if it
participates in the same "Free/Libre stuff" movement as code, is
rejected, if the person producing does not call himself a "coder". OTOH
if you are a "coder" you have free reign as long as you know someone
ready to review you.

PS
Had someone packaged project Gutenberg cleanly in the past, I'm quite
sure OLPC and edu Fedora spins would have been delighted.

--
Nicolas Mailhot