[Fedora-packaging] code vs. content

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Nov 21 17:58:28 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 12:26:35 +0100,
  Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:

> Get of your ivory tower, there is nothing in "content" that makes it
> magically less suitable than "code" for Fedora purposes (or the reverse)

I think that some guidance might come out of who Fedora is for and what
we are going to do for them discussions going on.

> One of the "mere content" examples given in this thread, project
> Gutemberg, would be massively more useful than a lot of the "code" in
> Fedora today (if packaged properly)

There are other interesting data sets that could also be put to interesting
uses, for example the Tiger database covering roads and some other things
in the US. I know of at least some databases with locations of municipal
entities worldwide, and I haven't looked at this before Google started
their mapping project, so there might be a lot more data available.