[Fedora-packaging] app wants runtime help file in /usr/share/help

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Oct 26 13:16:22 UTC 2009

On 10/26/2009 02:05 PM, David Timms wrote:
> On 10/26/2009 06:37 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> This sounds like a blatant bug in rarian to me ;-)
> Although, there was a bz requesting that rarian own that folder. I
> thought I might be missing some knowledge about whether a help file for
> an app could/should live there.

Well, the question would be: Is /usr/share/help an acceptable directory
to be owned by an arbitrary application?

IMO, it is not. It's a too general directory name to allow an arbitrary
application to own it and fill it with some "non-standardized files".

>> In some cases it's possible to override values at "configuration-time"
>> or make-time.
> I hoped there would be, but alas, the source code needed to be modified.
>
> I placed the file in %{buildroot}%{_datadir}/%{name}.
>
> I take it from Ralf's answer, that this is an acceptable/suitable place
> to put it ?
>
> AIUI, it couldn't go in %doc dir ?
> And should the folder include the version (or does it that only apply to
> %doc location ?).
Which package are we talking about? Are the sources rsp. your packaging
publicly available somewhere?

Ralf