[Fedora-packaging] Proposal: naming convention for Python 3 packages and subpackages

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Thu Oct 29 22:27:35 UTC 2009

(Resurrecting the "Proposal: Python 3 in Fedora 13" thread; see:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2009-October/msg00054.html
and https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Python3F13 )

On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 12:17 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> On 10/01/2009 10:15 AM, David Malcolm wrote:

[snip]

> > "Naming convention" proposal:
> > How does this sound:
> >   - an rpm with a "python-" prefix means a python 2 rpm, of the
> > "default" python 2 minor version (for Fedora this will be the most
> > recent stable upstream minor release, for EPEL it will be the minor
> > release of 2 that came with the distro, so 2.4 for EPEL5)
> >
> >   - an rpm with a "python3-" prefix means a python 3 rpm, of the
> > "default" python 3 minor version (for Fedora this will be the most
> > recent stable upstream release)
> >
> > What about packages without a "python-" prefix?  Proposal:  If upstream
> > has a naming convention for python2 vs python3, use it.  Otherwise, add
> > a "python3-" prefix to make things clear.  I'm not sure about the
> > details here.  Examples?
> >
> +1 to the basics.  There are a lot of details to work out:

Current naming conventions for Python packages are in
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines#Addon_Packages_.28python_modules.29

I rather like the idea of standardizing on a "python3-" prefix for _all_
Python 3 module packages and subpackages, even if this leads to
inconsistencies with their counterparts in the python 2 stack.  It would
make the "threeness" of the packages stand out more.

(NB: I hope that we'll eventually be in a place where we can cut over
embedders and users of python (e.g. gedit, gdb, mod_python etc) from 2
to 3; I'm _not_ suggesting we do anything to their names.  Obviously
such a move is a long way off)

> This seems fine even though it's a bit redundant: python3-pygtk2 and
> python3-pygpgme.

We could combine:
  - the "always use a python3-" rule I invented just above (ahem) and
  - the "When in doubt, use the name of the module that you type to
import it in a script" advice from the python module guidelines.

This would make the above examples be "python3-gtk" and "python3-gpgme"

> What to do with things that have python in their suffix:
> gstreamer-python => gstreamer-python3?  Or python3-gstreamer?  Or
> python3-gstreamer-python?  Most of these are subpackages of existing
> packages.

Again, following the combination of the two rules above:
"python3-gstreamer"

> A cornercase is the gnome-python2 package.  These are python bindings to
> gnome2.  gnome-python2 is the upstream name.  For python3, do we want
> python3-gnome-python2, python3-gnome2, python3-gnome-python2 ?
>From my reading of "rpm -qi gnome-python2", the upstream name is
"gnome-python", so perhaps "python3-gnome" is the thing to use here?

Thoughts?

Dave