[Fedora-packaging] Ocaml sub-package issue

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Oct 7 13:27:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 04:07:45PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Just a question about this: If we need to pass extra options to the
> dependency scripts (as in the example specfile below), can we still do
> that?
>
> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/devel/ocaml-pxp/ocaml-pxp.spec?revision=1.11&view=markup

I should probably add that the need to use the '-i' option is really a
hack to workaround a bug in the script.

The problem is that if an OCaml library has submodules, like:

  Module
  Module.Submodule1
  Module.Submodule2

then ocaml-find-requires will export Requires digests for Module,
Submodule1 and Submodule2.  (It should only export them for Module).
ocaml-find-provides will only make digests for Module, so you get
broken dependencies.

Adding -i Submodule1 -i Submodule2 in this case is a hack to say
"those are submodules, don't export them".

I tried a long time ago to resolve this with upstream but didn't get
anywhere as it seems like a subtle problem with the implementation of
modules-vs-submodules which I don't fully understand.

Rich.

bindings from many languages.  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/
See what it can do: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/recipes.html