[Fedora-packaging] cleanup RPM Tags in Packaging Guidelines

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Wed Sep 16 20:04:16 UTC 2009

Hiyas,

currently the RPM Tags section in the Packaging Guidelines[0] contains a
blacklist of some RPM Tags:

* Packager
* Vendor
* Copyright
* PreReq

Except for the Copyright tag, they all should not be used. I want to
propose to change this to to a whitelist of RPM Tags that are allowed to
be used and mention only explanations about their substitutions or
reasons why they must not be used in the Guidelines. As the previous
sentence implicates, I also want to change it to forbid these tags
completely (must not) or there should be some information added, when it
is ok to use them in Fedora. E.g. when is it ok to use PreReq or
Packager in the Spec? The guidelines do not answer this question,
therefore it would be easier to just forbid these tags for easier
understanding of the guidelines. If there is a reason to use these tags
in the future, the guidelines can be adapted anyways.

The reason why I spotted this, is because a spec posted for review does
contain a tag called "Distribution" and the Guidelines do not provide
any guidance about how to proceed. I assume that it must not be used
either.

Regards
Till

[0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Tags