[Fedora-packaging] Suggested specification to changelog guidelines

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Sat Jan 2 22:24:42 UTC 2010

Jussi Lehtola <jussilehtola at fedoraproject.org> writes:
> On Sat, 2010-01-02 at 17:06 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Not a good idea.  Different people do this differently, and
>> since some of those people are doing bulk rebuilds, there's no
>> way to guarantee that exactly the same format will be followed
>> in all the historical entries in a changelog.  Or do you envision
>> that people will actually retroactively change old log entries
>> to match their preferred format?  Now *that* would be a bad idea.

> I thought that the mass bump scripts checked which format has been used.

The ones that have hit my packages don't appear to have paid any
attention to what was being used before.  In any case, different
maintainers might have responsibility for the same package over time.
Your proposal would require a maintainer to continue with a style he
doesn't prefer, or retroactively edit the old entries, neither of which
seems like a good idea to me.  If there were actually any significant
benefit to having One True Style, the guidelines would have mandated
one style.  Observe that they did not.

			regards, tom lane