Well here we are

Dennis Gregorovic dgregor at redhat.com
Mon Apr 18 16:03:56 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 20:41 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
> Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 15:36 +1000, Rob Kearey wrote:
> >

> >>CPAN+ can build debian packages with CPANPLUS::Dist. Would it be
> >>worthwhile creating an RPM target?
> >

> > Would it offer something that cpan2rpm or RPM-Specfile already don't?

> Chip has expressed that he wants to fix cpanflute2 (shipped in Core) to
> do exactly what we want.  Let's get him on this list.  Hey Chip this is
> the Fedora Project perl team's devel list.  I aim to keep list traffic
> here low noise through strict moderation and zero tolerance for bullshit.
>
> While cpanflute2 writing specs closer to the Fedora Project perl spec
> template would help us, it will never be a fully automated process.
> Each package needs to be analyzed to disable part or whole of "make
> test" because it is inappropriate to run network tests in the build
> system.  Other packages need to be told the location of other non-perl
> software and stuff.

Even if we can't fully automate the process, the more we can automate,
the better.  My question is: which of the available tools[1] should we
focus on?  If Chip is looking to work on cpanflute2, that would be
great.

A CPANPLUS::Dist::RPM module would be useful for installing Perl modules
as RPMs created on-the-fly, but that's not quite what we need in Fedora
Extras.

-- Dennis

1. http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/jpo/perl/specfiles/#TOOLS