Needed: Mission Statement

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu Apr 21 00:01:00 UTC 2005

Dennis Gregorovic wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 21:08 -1000, Warren Togami wrote:
>
>>We're about ready to announce this list on fedora-devel-list and
>>fedora-extras-list, but before we do we should write a mission
>>statement.  I personally intend on keeping list traffic low noise and
>>high relevancy by enforcing strict moderation.  Anything straying from
>>the mission statement will have a single warning, then second infraction
>>moderate bit set.
>>
>>Some ideas for the mission statement:
>>
>>* Agreement and documentation of perl packaging standards
>>* Cleanup and maintenance of Core and Extras perl packages
>>* Discussion of perl package development issues
>>* Progressive packaging of CPAN toward Extras
>>
>>Anything we're missing?
>

> Those all sound good.  Also, we may want to define a policy for which
> Perl packages are allowed into Extras.  (for example, do they have to be
> in CPAN first?)

Specifics like that don't belong in the mission statement, but a more
detailed document elsewhere that expands on the mission statement.

Another specific would be fixing RPM's perl dep finder to be smarter by
default.  Like never pull in Win32, never parse %doc or example(s) dirs,
etc.  That would eliminate the majority of cases where ugly manual
Requires filtering is needed, but not all.

>>This week we need to figure out ways of better keeping the team informed
>>about new bugs, triage and setting priorities, and tracking open issues.
>>
>>I am thinking perhaps we should auto-CC all FC and FE perl* packages to
>>a fedora-perl-bugs at redhat.com list, and anybody that wants to follow all
>>perl reports subscribe to that list.  This is easier to maintain than
>>adding several people auto-CC to hundreds of packages in Bugzilla.  Then
>>we can set filters on that list so only the most important types of bug
>>mail are sent there in order to keep relevancy higher.
>>
>>I realize this isn't ideal, so very interested to hear your ideas of how
>>we can better balance keeping informed with traffic volume.
>

> I just did a query and there 67 open bugs in perl* components of FC and
> FE.  This doesn't seem like all that many to me.  I like the idea of an
> auto-CC to fedora-perl-bugs at redhat.com.  Additionally, I think it would
> be worthwhile to email this list when a new Perl component is added (or
> removed) from bugzilla.

Good idea.  I'll make the request for that mailing list.  Time to launch
probably Thursday or Friday.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com