perl 5.8.7 and FC4?

José Pedro Oliveira jpo at di.uminho.pt
Thu Apr 21 01:34:06 UTC 2005

Warren,

> How soon is perl-5.8.7 coming?  Freeze for test3 is coming April 27th,
> so if we want perl-5.8.7 in we need upgrade it, test and fix all
> dependencies and prove that it doesn't cause widespread problems by the
> 26th.

I don't think perl 5.8.7 will be released in time.

In February Nicholas Clark (the current perl 5.8  pumpkin manager)
announced the release was imminent
(http://www.mail-archive.com/perl5-porters@perl.org/msg84936.html).
Last month (2005-03-31) I send him an email requesting furthert
information and he replied that he expected to release it in the
next three weeks and until now I haven't seen no new developments
(emails, snapshots, RCs) in the perl5-porters mailing list.

> It is highly unlikely we will be able to upgrade to perl-5.8.7 after
> test3 unless the change is really only minor.  How large of a difference
> is it between 5.8.6 and 5.8.7?  It maintains binary compat right?  Any
> other potential issues?

Perl 5.8.7 shouldn't have new features, only bug corrections and
core modules updates (eg: Time::HiRes, CGI, ...).

It is expected to maintain binary compat (all major perl versions
do that - 5.6 and 5.8; perl 5.8.1 being the exception).

Regards,
jpo
--
José Pedro Oliveira