FC4: modperl, CGI, and perl (problem)

José Pedro Oliveira jpo at di.uminho.pt
Thu Apr 21 01:48:22 UTC 2005

Warren,

We have another major problem with mod_perl 2.0.0 RC5 as it also
requires CGI.pm version 3.08 which has just hit CPAN today (a couple
of hours ago).  CGI.pm is one of the perl modules affected by
the module rename (Apache:: -> Apache2::) done in mod_perl RC5.

Problem:
How to package CGI 3.08?
CGI.pm is a dual life perl module: shipped with perl
and also shipped as an independent module .

Possible solutions:
1) patching perl-5.8.6
2) remove CGI from the core perl package and and go back
   to perl-CGI as it was done in Red Hat 7.3, 8, and 9
3) wait for perl-5.8.7 and hope that it includes CGI 3.08.

Option 3 is rather optimistic. Even if perl-5.8.7 is released
next week, it will probably be to late to include it in FC4.

Option 1 or option 2?

Right now I would go for option 2. It will be easier to
release updates if something is still broken.

Comments?

[Warren: is there any change of updating perl after test3 if
it doesn't break anything?]

Regards,
jpo

PS - Joe Orton knows about this problem.  One of the
mails in the mod_perl mailing list was his.