FC4: modperl, CGI, and perl (problem)

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu Apr 21 02:04:20 UTC 2005

José Pedro Oliveira wrote:
> Warren,
>
> We have another major problem with mod_perl 2.0.0 RC5 as it also
> requires CGI.pm version 3.08 which has just hit CPAN today (a couple
> of hours ago).  CGI.pm is one of the perl modules affected by
> the module rename (Apache:: -> Apache2::) done in mod_perl RC5.
>

> Problem:
> How to package CGI 3.08?
> CGI.pm is a dual life perl module: shipped with perl
> and also shipped as an independent module .
>

> Possible solutions:
> 1) patching perl-5.8.6
> 2) remove CGI from the core perl package and and go back
>    to perl-CGI as it was done in Red Hat 7.3, 8, and 9
> 3) wait for perl-5.8.7 and hope that it includes CGI 3.08.

If perl-5.8.7 will include CGI 3.08, then adding a perl-CGI package now
would be a hassle because it is a temporary situation.  To make matters
worse the existing perl packages contain "Obsoletes: perl-CGI" which may
cause problems for us.  For these reasons it may be better to patch
perl-5.8.6.  Short-term ugliness for simpler long term maintenance?

Maybe my opinion here is totally wrong, so I would wait for Ville to
choose between #1 or #2.

How large would a patch for solution #1 be?

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com