cpanflute2 enhancements (was: Well here we are)

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Wed Apr 27 14:45:42 UTC 2005

--On Tuesday, April 26, 2005 12:38 AM -0400 Chip Turner
<cturner at pattern.net> wrote:

> It should automatically fill in version, but cpanflute2 operates from
> the tarball, so it bases it on the version in the tarball's filename.

I'd definitely like to see cpanflute2 be a bit smarter about
package/directory/tarball names. I'd like to see it peek inside the tarball
directory structure to cook up the right %setup directive, allowing the
tarball name to have no relation to the BUILD directory name.

Until recently I needed a patched version of MIME::tools that came in a
file named MIME-tools-5.411a-RP-Patched-3.tar.gz which confused cpanflute2
badly. (The package has since been adopted by the MIMEDefang maintainer and
has a more reasonable tarball filename.)

> Downloading from CPAN is, unfortunately, not an entirely clean
> operation.

What does CPAN.pm do to accomplish this?

I recently needed to install CGI::Builder and after a brief attempt at
using cpanflute2, I gave up and went to /usr/bin/cpan to install the
associated Bundle module. It would be great if some kind RPM mechanism was
available to do the equivalent.

<http://search.cpan.org/~domizio/CGI-Builder-1.26+/lib/Bundle/CGI/Builder/Complete.pm>