Overriding core Perl modules

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Wed Apr 27 16:43:37 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 11:43 -0400, Chip Turner wrote:

> Yeah, the man page thing is a royally frustrating part.  The FHS
> uncertainty is one of the things that kept me from fixing this before;
> it doesn't seem right to throw it over in /usr/local/share/man, but
> otherwise you get conflicts.  Given /usr/local is meant for site
> customization, perhaps it is okay to mix that in with site_perl since
> site_perl is meant for site customization.

I think prefixing the whole site_perl hierarchy to /usr/local would be
good.  Implementing that could get somewhat messy though: it shouldn't
be just declared that site_perl below /usr/lib/perl5 is no longer in
@INC, but compat symlinks would have to be provided.  But the site_perl
dirs below /usr/lib/perl5 cannot be overwritten with symlinks on
upgrades...

In the FHS sense, I don't think the site_perl relocation would be a
problem per se.  It could be seen as a problem in non-locally packaged
Perl modules that install therein though, but that's not a showstopper
for the relocation plan IMO.

> But hey, I could change cpanflute2 to at least offer a
> --local-manpages option un the meantime, til perl is fixed, that would
> move whatever was in /usr/man to /usr/local/man; would that suffice?

Hm, is there a "/share" missing before "/man" in both paths above?