Overriding core Perl modules

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Wed Apr 27 20:31:15 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 10:24 -0700, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> --On Wednesday, April 27, 2005 7:43 PM +0300 VilleSkyttä
> <ville.skytta at iki.fi> wrote:
>
> > I think prefixing the whole site_perl hierarchy to /usr/local would be
> > good.
>
> Are you equating site_perl to /usr/local, then?

Not equating, but prefixing.  But we probably talk about the same thing,
ie. /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl, /usr/local/share/man, /usr/local/bin.

> I think of the latter as a
> place to put unpackaged stuff, so I'd still want a place to put packaged
> Perl modules that don't come with core or that override it with newer
> components.

I don't think there is anything wrong with installing *local* stuff
into /usr/local (packaged or not), that's what the /usr/local hierarchy
exists for anyway.  That would help with the "override core" part.  For
stuff that isn't shipping in the repositories one uses, there would be
the choice of using vendor (or site) install dirs.