replacing files owned by another package

Bernhard Weisshuhn bkw+fedora at weisshuhn.de
Wed Apr 19 13:03:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:33:05AM -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 07:29 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
>
> > Depending on the module, the RPM provides may already be versioned, so
> > there may not even be an issue there.
>
> Indeed, which modules are we talking about here?

When I wrote this I was struggling with another module, which I forgot
for now, but will dig out again.

Right now I have one at hand, which shows the same problem:

The (soon to be released) version 2.0 of svk requires File::Spec >= 3.14,
fc4's perl-5.8.6-24 bundles 3.01.

I used cpanspec to build a perl-PathTools-3.17.rpm, which indeed
provides perl(File::Spec) = 3.17.

But installing fails due to the overlapping man pages:

  file /usr/share/man/man3/Cwd.3pm.gz from install of
    perl-PathTools-3.17-1.fc4 conflicts with file from package perl-5.8.6-24

  file /usr/share/man/man3/File::Spec.3pm.gz from install of
    perl-PathTools-3.17-1.fc4 conflicts with file from package perl-5.8.6-24

  ... and so on for other File::Spec::* manpages.

Iirc, the other package I was talking about showed the same problem: The
modules themselves install fine under vendor_perl, but the manpages
conflict.

Any Ideas?

thanks,
bkw