Updating perl modules inside the base perl package

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 16:55:01 UTC 2006

On 9/8/06, Kelly Corbin <kcorbin at theiqgroup.com> wrote:
> First of all, if I've asked this question to the inappropriate list, I
> apologize.  I've asked other lists with no response as I think it may be
> outside many users expertise.  And, it seemed this list *was* the most
> appropriate place to ask.
>
> Here's my question:  Can anyone point me in the direction to steps or
> documentation to update the perl modules inside the base perl package
> for RHEL or Fedora?  We need newer versions of a couple modules that are
> integrated in the package (instead of being separate modules that we can
> upgrade individually, grrr!) and I wanted to know how the package
> maintainers do it so I can do it myself.  Then I can update the perl
> package with the newer modules we need as it is updated from Red Hat.

Do the modules have a separate life in CPAN?  There are a few like CGI
and CPAN that are included in the perl but also distributed
separately.  The perl RPM has obsoletes tp get rid of the old separate
packages.  One solution is to modify the perl spec to remove the
obsolete (or make them versioned).  There was a recent bug about doing
this for Fedora. Then you would build and install separate packages
for the newer version.

If you need newer versions of the modules that are only distributed
with perl, you would be better off upgrading to the newest version of
Perl.  It is possible that everything will work with only a few
modules upgraded, but it is also possible there are subtle
dependencies.  Not to mention the difficult of even getting the newer
files into the RPM.  My impression is that the FC5 perl 5.8.8 can be
rebuilt on RHEL 3 and RHEL 4.

 - Ian