Breaking perl...

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 15:52:15 UTC 2007

Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> writes:

> On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 13:58 -0400, Robin Norwood wrote:

[...]

>> Ok, that seems to be the consensus.  We'll roll the split into F7, add
>> the needed packages to the buildroots, and get the perl-* spec files
>> fixed for F8.
> Hmm - Why so reluctant/hesitant? Why not "_not_ _adding_ them to the
> buildroots"?
>
> A "not-so-unlikely-to-happen" mass-rebuild to happen before F7's release
> or individual future package upgrades then would likely catch them all
> when "they are not present in the buildroots for F7".
>
> With a little mutal collaboration from perl-package maintainers (and
> ACL's widely disabled) this would largely be a mechanical process.

This is certainly another way to go - in fact, I'd generally prefer to
experience all the pain now than later.  The only thing is, I'm a coward
and I don't want to have to hide from a crowd of perl-package-owning
peasants outside my door.  If I can just give them directions to your
house, I'd be fine with that.

Seriously, though, which way should we go with this?  There will
probably be minor grumbling either way, but I don't think it will really
be that big a deal, so long as we communicate The Plan.

-RN

--
Robin Norwood
Red Hat, Inc.