License tag for perl modules

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Aug 10 17:34:19 UTC 2007

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 12:56:55 -0400
Robin Norwood <rnorwood at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So there was a question about licenses for one of my perl rpms in
> Fedora, and I asked Tom Callaway about it.  He explained that the
> correct tag for my module, as well as any that are distributed 'under
> the same terms as perl itself' is:
>
> License: GPL+ or Artistic
>
> So you may want to update the license field as you go (Not blindly, of
> course...there are probably exceptions).

rpmlint (at least up to rpmlint-0.80-2) still complains about this:

W: perl-Authen-DigestMD5 invalid-license Artistic

The licensing page on the wiki says that "GPL+Artistic" is OK
(probably should say "GPL+ or Artistic" for clarity) in the "Bad
Licenses" table entry for Artistic, and since this is going to be a
very common combination, I'd suggest that rpmlint include this
exception in the license check.

Ville, should I raise this on the rpmlint trac, in Fedora bugzilla, or
is this email enough?

Paul.