License tag for perl modules

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 20:32:58 UTC 2007

On 10 Aug 2007 12:05:14 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs at math.uh.edu> wrote:

> RN> So you may want to update the license field as you go (Not
> RN> blindly, of course...there are probably exceptions).
>
> I think there may be a few modules out there which are Artistic
> _only_, which it seems makes them unacceptable for Fedora.  I honestly
> had no clue that the artistic license was considered non-free until
> spot started the recent licensing work.

Why would Artistic license be considered unacceptable for Fedora?  It
is OSI approved.  It is considered non-free and GPL-incompatible by
the FSF.  But my impression is that OSI approved is acceptable for
Fedora.

Also, the Artistic 2.0 license is different.  It is OSI approved and
GPL compatible.  It is used Perl 6 and Parrot without dual licensing.
It should be tagged separately.

 - Ian