updating dependent packages not in rawhide?

Chris Weyl cweyl at alumni.drew.edu
Sun Dec 16 02:03:31 UTC 2007

On Dec 15, 2007 5:35 PM, Tom spot Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 17:32 -0800, Chris Weyl wrote:
> > Soooo....  Lo and behold, Class::MOP 0.49 is out with significant
> > speedups.  Moose is also out with 0.33.  Unfortunately, the new
> > Class::MOP breaks Moose < 0.33, and Moose 0.33 breaks on Class::MOP <
> > 0.49.  The XS speedups in Class::MOP are on the order of 45% in terms
> > of class load time for Moose.
> >
> > This gives rise to a question of how to build new versions of 2 (or
> > more) packages that are mutually dependent on each other?
> > Unfortunately this isn't just a matter of building and then tagging
> > both builds in bodhi.  My understanding is that new builds will not
> > build against testing (and I wouldn't want to break Moose in testing
> > in any case).   I poked around in the wiki but if the answer is in
> > there, it successfully kept itself from me.
>
> Just build the new Moose, then email rel-eng and ask them to override
> tag it into the buildroot. Then, wait for the repodata to regenerate
> (hour or so), then rebuild the new Class::MOP.
>
> When that's done, push them both as a combined update in bodhi.

Gotcha, though I'll have to build Class::MOP first or the Moose tests
will bomb.  (unless I'm missing something).

Won't this break Moose and anything Moose-based in the buildroots
until both updates are pushed to stable?  In this case, it's just
updates of perl-MooseX-* I'm concerned with.  Not a huge deal, just
want to make sure I know what I'm doing here :)

                                    -Chris
--
Chris Weyl
Ex astris, scientia