Proposed patch to perl for f8 - remove Requires on perl-devel

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Mon Jun 4 14:42:54 UTC 2007

Jose Pedro Oliveira <jpo at di.uminho.pt> writes:

> Robin Norwood wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This patch will remove the Requires that were placed on perl-devel at
>> the end of the f7 cycle.  It is proposed for the 'devel' branch (f8).
>> Comments?
>
> If that breaks the assumption that all perl core modules are installed
> by default, I am against (and you already know the reasons).

Well, how about a compromise - for F7, we added perl-devel to the
package groups in comps.xml so that it was installed by default whenever
perl was installed.  This if course meant that these other packages were
pulled in also.  When we break the Requires on the other packages, we
could add them to comps.xml alongside perl-devel.  This way the default
install would be 'all perl core modules', but one could easily remove
the devel-related bits either at kickstart time (-<packagename> in the
%packages section) or post-install.

What do you think about this?

Ralf?  Others?

-RN