Splitting out CPAN, Test::Simple, Test::Harness, ExtUtils::MakeMaker

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Mar 9 05:15:56 UTC 2007

Hi,

Below is before-mentioned patch to perl.spec to split out
CPAN, Test::Simple, Test::Harness, ExtUtils::MakeMaker
from
perl-devel, I'd like to propose to be applied to perl.spec.

Advantages:
* The split-out allows such modules to be "alternatively supplied" from
separate/independent source packages.
* Improved fine-grained run-time deps.

Disadvantages:
* The split-out reveals BuildRequire-ment "sloppiness"es in current
perl-dist packages (So far, deps on "core" modules had been frowed
upon).

Implementation notes:

* The perl-<module> packages apply an epoch = 0 and a version
corresponding to their perl-dists, but apply the release number of the
main-perl package.

* To be able to implement this (Building several packages with different
versions and epochs from one single spec), one can't use %{version} and
%{epoch} because rpmbuild overrides them depending on the context inside
of a spec-file.
One has to resort to hard-code or %define them. I chose to use a %define
for the main package's version.

* I do not expect this spec to be free of bugs and oversights ;)

Feedback welcome.

Ralf

PS.: The patch below is against CVS and comprises all of Spot's an my
changes so far.