Perl splitting

Jose Pedro Oliveira jpo at di.uminho.pt
Wed May 9 20:10:03 UTC 2007

Hi,

As I have been rather busy in the past months I haven't had the time
to follow the mailing lists and only this weekend did I realize that
the disruptive [1] change of splitting perl had been pushed through.

Questions:

1) What exactly do we gain with such splitting?

2) How did such a disruptive change got through Red-Eng as I haven't
   seen it announced as a milestone for F7 ?
   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CategoryFedora7Features

3) Again how does this only gets committed this last weekend
  (after the 4th test release)?

4) How does a company plans to release a product with several
   hundred packages broken (SRPMs that users won't be able to rebuild)?

Thanks in advance for your time,
jpo
(a very concerned user/packager that sees lot of his scripts broken
because of missing perl core modules and doesn't want to review all his
specfiles in order to add perl core modules to the build requirements list)

[1] - affects more than 650 packages
--
José Pedro Oliveira
* mailto:jpo at di.uminho.pt * http://gsd.di.uminho.pt/members/jpo/ *