Perl splitting

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Tue May 15 00:06:47 UTC 2007

On Monday, May 14, 2007 7:35 AM +0200 Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de>
wrote:

> Yes, but ... how many _users_ do really need ExtUtils::MakeMaker or
> Test:: modules? Perl devs will, normal users won't except when other
> package will pull them in.

> Before the split, it was technically impossible to replace core perl
> modules, now we at least have the option to do so for those modules
> which have been split out.

In fact, EU:MM is exactly the module I needed to manually upgrade in the
past, and had to install a local (unpackaged) version in my build
environment to do so. I see this as a boon to dealing with broken outdated
core packages that can now be updated in isolation without the extreme of
updating the entire core.

This doesn't affect Fedora so much, with its rapid pace of development, but
other, more conservative distros (eg. RHEL and CentOS) inherit Fedora
packages and will benefit from this compartmentalization of change.