perl-devel is installed by some package - "filter requires" needed ?

Stepan Kasal skasal at redhat.com
Mon Jul 28 15:37:55 UTC 2008

Hello,

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 11:58:29AM +0200, Nicolas Chauvet wrote:
> Lastest build of - Still requires:
> mod_perl (unsure?) - perl(ExtUtils::MakeMaker)
> perl-Tk - perl(ExtUtils::MakeMaker)
> perl-Gtk2 - perl(Test::More)
> perl-Glib - perl(ExtUtils::MakeMaker)
> perl-Curses - perl(ExtUtils::testlib)

I agree that all of these look suspicious.

> Now I just wonder if we can assume that:
> Unless the package itself is a perl(Test:: or perl(ExtUtils:: , it
> shouldn't Requires either perl(Test:: or perl(ExtUtils::

That's the idea.  But the set is slightly bigger, you have to add
- perl-devel (requires ExtUtils::MakeMaker)
- perl-CPAN (download and build modules from CPAN
- perl-Module-Build: we are in perl, so TMTOWTDI:
  ``Module::Build is a system for building, testing, and installing Perl
  modules. It is meant to be an alternative to ExtUtils::MakeMaker.''

> Maybe We could have a warning if such dependencies are detected ?
> Either appearing in build.log or as a rpmlint test ?
> So we could check why this dependency are extracted at source.

This type of problem seems to appear too often, so you are probably
right that such a check is needed..
I'm not sure where it should be hooked to, though.

Have a nice day,
	Stepan Kasal