Packaging CPAN modules for Fedora, the Oslo QA Hackathon, CPAN::Porters

Dave Cross dave at dave.org.uk
Fri Mar 7 20:16:47 UTC 2008

Emmanuel Seyman wrote:

> search.cpan.org always calls a module's licence as "Unknown" no matter
> how clearly the licence is in the source code itself.

That's no longer true. See, for example:

   http://search.cpan.org/dist/Symbol-Approx-Sub/

Which includes "Perl (Artistic and GPL)".

I'm pretty sure that's driven by the "licence" key in META.yml. And
having your distribution containing both machine-readable and
human-readable licence information are two of the CPANTS project's
"kwalitee" measures - see, for example,

   http://cpants.perl.org/dist/kwalitee/Symbol-Approx-Sub

So, this is an issue that the Perl community is aware of and is working on.

Cheers,

Dave...