Packaging CPAN modules for Fedora, the Oslo QA Hackathon, CPAN::Porters

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Tue Mar 11 19:18:07 UTC 2008

DC> I've always had a sneaking suspicion that what I've got are good
DC> enough for me, but not for Fedora's repositories.

Well, modern cpanspec generates pretty good specs.  Generally what you
need to do is verify the license (which unfortunately seems to be the
most time-consuming bit these days), change the License: tag
appropriately, and add build dependencies (BuildRequires:) sufficient
to get the module to build in mock and be able to run as much of its
test suite properly.  A quick glance over the Summary: and
%description helps as well.

If the license is unambiguous, this takes a couple of minutes plus
whatever time it takes mock to run.  Submitting the review takes a
couple of minutes more.  Generally Perl packages are reviewed quickly
because the reviewer usually just needs to verify that you've done the
stuff in the previous paragraph.

 - J<