DBIx::Class and minimum perl requirements (especially EPEL)

Chris Weyl cweyl at alumni.drew.edu
Mon Oct 27 21:34:48 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 6:55 AM, Nigel Metheringham
<nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk> wrote:

> On 27 Oct 2008, at 13:40, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 13:12 +0000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
>>>
>>> Unfortunately the startup test used by DBIx::Class cannot determine
>>> between a perl which has the bug and a perl that *could* have the bug
>>> - so it fires on the new RHEL5 perl (which does have the issue fixed),
>>> and the F8 perl (which I think is mostly, but not entirely fixed,
>>> however I've not checked the state of play here).
>>
>> The F8 perl definitely does have the issue fixed. I did the patchwork
>> for F8 and RHEL5, and they're exactly the same.
>
> Thats good to know.  So the problem systems are:-
>  - unmaintained F8, which is unlikely to have new DBIx::Class
>    installed
>  - RHEL5 without all current updates (more likely to be an
>    issue bearing in mind the userbase for Enterprise distros).
>
> [Would love comments on the other issues from my original mail]

Hm.  Well, I suspect the best place here is in the test suite -- maybe
a pair of tests:

* one Fedora/RHEL specific, maybe looking for specific perl rpm versions?
* one more generic (though I'm not sure that's possible in a better
fashion than it currently is)

At the very least, that'll let the perl-DBIx-Class maintainer (me)
have a better idea what's going on.  Fedora 8 has a couple months of
life left, if memory serves; if a new release comes out before then
I'll get it in F-8 pre-EOL.

                             -Chris

--
Chris Weyl