[cpanrpm] Fwd: PAUSE indexer report SHLOMIF/CPANPLUS-Dist-Fedora-0.0.1.tar.gz

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Fri Sep 12 13:03:27 UTC 2008

Hi all!

I should note that I recently released CPANPLUS-Dist-Fedora-0.0.2 based on the
contributions of Chris.

On Thursday 11 September 2008, Jerome Quelin wrote:
> On 08/09/11 17:04 +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > > * code to interact with a given dist and figure out "stuff" about it,
> > > e.g. license, status, etc
> >
> > Isn't this is (as Jerome noted) what CPANPLUS::Dist::Base is doing?
>
> it's what it *should* be doing. but it's not, there's no code to get the
> licence, or trying to analyse pod to extract it. neither is there a
> generic way to extract a short description, or the synopsis. so it
> belongs in base, but if not included in cpanplus, then at least it
> should be in cpanplus::dist::rpm (and not in end-points such as mdv or
> fedora).

Right.

> > > * code to handle the basics of taking that, generating a spec, and
> > > running rpm against it
> >
> > Right.
>
> this belongs to generic cpanplus::dist::rpm

Yes.

> > > * distro-specific spec template(s)
> >
> > Yes, but we cannot replace everything everytime. Hopefully, the Template
> > will be componentised.
>
> the question is should the templates be part of the cpanplus::dist::rpm
> dist or released as separate modules. both ways have their pros & cons.

They should be returned by its methods.

> > > * distro-specific overrides to build behaviour
> > >
> > > Using Template::Toolkit to deal with the spec templates will hopefully
> > > help, in terms of keeping the spec generation somewhat distinct from
> > > determining the relevant information from the dist.
>
> any templating system will do. i'm not sure that tt would gain us much,
> since we don't need too much complexity. otoh, not reinventing the wheel
> is ok too.

I happen to like TT even for relatively simple stuff. And I dislike
HTML-Template very much. It wouldn't hurt to use TT, and we are likely to
eventually outgrow the capabilities of less capable template systems.

> > > What's the next step?  Note I assume you don't mind me helping out :-)
> >
> > The next step is that we decide who will work on CPANPLUS::Dist::Rpm.
> > Jerome has the annoying tendency of not properly capitalising his strings
> > (including not in code or in error messages to the user) so he should
> > either improve in this regard or be left out of this project.
>
> hum. is it really that annoying? i don't like capitalisation, but i can
> live (hopefully! :-) ) with other people using it. so i was kinda hoping
> that people could live with my habits, especially within my code... oh,
> and the pod is properly capitalized, so screaming "omg! comments in the
> code aren't capitalized" seems a bit over-reacting. regarding the error
> messages, i remind you that cpanplus is inserting a [MSG] or [ERROR] in
> front of the sentence, so technically it's not even needed there...

I'm sorry for my insulting comment. However, I feel that I have to clean up
after you, and properly capitalise the relevant sentences.

> in any case, i don't get your point: patches welcome - and i've
> already shown that i'm ok to integrate any patches, since i've made a
> module release after you sent me some patches (thank you again, btw).
>
> another thing that i want to point out: when i hit the very same problem
> this list is trying to address (no rpm packages available for the perl
> modules that i wanted), i went to cpan.  and you know what? i found no
> module to generate mandriva rpms. so i worked quite a bit to integrate
> with the proper solution (cpanplus), and you seemed to be quite happy to
> a) find it and b) fork it for fedora. it's also the official way of
> producing rpm for mandriva, so i think the end result doesn't suck too
> much. and you know what? using proper capitalization does not change
> this technical merit.

I highly commend you for your efforts.

> > I'm willing to take Chris's Template Toolkit-based code, inspect it and
> > port it to Mandriva. Does anyone else want to help?
>
> i don't know tt.

TT is not that hard to learn.

> so please do whatever you want. my goal is to have
> mandriva rpms for the perl packages that i want. whatever the way they
> are produced, as long as they are technically ok, i don't care. i'm
> ready to help on some parts, not on some others (the templating system).

Well, if we get CPANPLUS::Dist::Rpm working and also CPANPLUS::Dist::Rpm::Mdv,
then we'll also need you to transfer ownership for CPANPLUS::Dist::Mdv to us,
so we'll be able to supply a CPANPLUS::Dist::Mdv class.

> but once again, screaming against my code 'cause it's not properly
> capitalized, and then, saying that i should be left out of this because
> of that, without even asking me if i could use uppercase, is... maybe
> not the best way to gather enthusiasm from people - and i'm not even
> speaking of *my* enthusiasm.

I'm sorry again. Would you care enough to use proper Capitalisation in your
code from now on?

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Rethinking CPAN - http://xrl.us/bjn7p