"perl development" comps.xml group?

Iain Arnell iarnell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 09:24:22 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

>> On 04/10/2009 01:28 AM, Chris Weyl wrote:
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>
> I am not excited about this plan, because I feel there is no "common subset"
> of package which is general enough to be used as "devel group" in comps - I
> feel much of what you say above is based on your personal individual
> demands.
>
> E.g. the list you provide above isn't even close to what I use for
> perl-development. I think these are likely what you use for your individual
> purposes.

I'm inclined to agree - it would certainly be impossible to decide on
a Perl Development group that would be suitable for everyone.

But it would be nice to have a group of things that might be
interesting to developers without being forced to wade through more
than 1200 individual '*perl*' rpms (and still missing eclipse-epic if
you were looking for an IDE).

It's a shame that PackageKit (at least the gnome ui) doesn't seem to
let you dig inside groups, but last I looked, anaconda still gives you
the chance to select individual packages.  And, of course, the more
experienced can always use yum groupinfo.

--
Iain.