The broken perl in dist-f12 this weekend

Stepan Kasal skasal at redhat.com
Mon Aug 24 16:04:32 UTC 2009

Hello all,

things has broken this weekend in dist-f12.  They are fixed now.
It was my fault; if you are wonder about details, read on.

Around Jul 31, I have discovered that we are unintentionally building
perl with -DDEBUGGING.  I tried to fix that and built a "production"
perl, i.e., without -DDEBUGGING; it was perl-5.10.0-78.fc12.
But this has broken rawhide and I had to hastily untag that build
from dist-f12.

Unfortunately, I forgot to revert my change from the spec file, not
even when we came to a conclusion that the switch from debugperl to
production perl has to wait until early dist-f13.

This Friday, Chris added the rpm macros to the perl package and
rebuilt perl.  Because of my mistake, the rebuilt perl-5.10.0-79.fc12
was suffering the same problem again: half of the binary module
packages (about 150 of 287), stopped working.

As explained above, this was my fault, Chris is innocent.  :-)

I discovered the problem today, untagged perl-5.10.0-79 immediately
and rebuilt perl itself.  At this moment, perl-5.10.0-80.fc12 has
finally got to the koji repo and things should work again.

Sorry for the inconvenience and confusion.

Stepan