#! /usr/bin/perl preferred

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Aug 28 14:22:58 UTC 2009

On 08/28/2009 04:11 PM, Stepan Kasal wrote:
> Hello,
>     at certain periods of time, it was recommended to use #!/usr/bin/env .
>
> Some people consider it ugly.  (The humble opinion of the author of
> this mail is the same.)
My opinion is converse.

Actually I think _you_ (as a perl maintainer) are shooting yourselves
into your own foot.

Consider you have another "perl" installed in parallel the official
vendor perl and want to test a particular application suite with it.

Using env you can simply use your "experimental perl".

Removing it, you will normally have to edit all of your applications'
scripts, etc. Not necessarily nice!

> Currently there is popular mood to remove "/usr/bin/env python", see
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemPythonExecutablesUseSystemPython
Sigh, ... the mob rules? To me, this campaign goes much too far.

Ralf