Fwd: rpms/perl/devel perl.spec,1.246,1.247

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Dec 19 06:13:59 UTC 2009

On 12/19/2009 06:14 AM, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On 12/19/2009 12:07 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
>>> Also...  Even if we exclude these modules w/o providing them as
>>> sub-packages, we ought to ensure that they're still pulled in by
>>> perl-core (and perl itself, when we make the
>>> perl-core/perl/perl-minimal switch).
>>>
>> What you say doesn't make sense:
>>
>> 1) They are provided as separate modules, by
>> a) CPAN
>> b) Fedora packages.
>>
> Yes, but 1a has always been true, and 1b has been true in the past.
> We've generally opted to keep the bundled "core" modules as part of the
> main perl package to keep user and developer expectations sane.

You mean the fact that RH has total control over perl-core enabled them
to push through this policy?

Feel free to waste your time to revert my changes and to enforce your
policy.

> If the point is that the base perl modules get outdated, well, we've
> successfully patched those modules forward when there is a good reason
> to do so.

Successfully?

Right, occasionally somebody is wastings a considerable amount of time
on merging one, but besides this, your statement couldn't be further
from being true:

* Many Fedora's "core perl" modules are outdated.
* These "mergers" are the cause of having to waste bandwidth on
perl-core updates, where module-updates would be sufficient otherwise.
* Lack of "mergers" are the cause of perl-module packages not making it
into Fedora.
* Requests related to perl-core maintainers not tracking "poterntial
mergers" (aka "upgrade requests) is one cause of major
inefficencies/churn in Fedora's perl maintenance.

>> 2) Since introducing the package split to "perl", package deps on
>> perl-packages in general don't make any sense anymore. It's the reason
>> why we are enforcing BR: perl(xxx).
>>
> Yes, but perl upstream chose which modules to include with "perl core".
> If we decide not to package a module, instead deferring to the separated
> package, we should make sure that the separated package gets installed
> if someone installs the perl-core metapackage. The way to do that is to
> add the hardcoded Requires.

No, the solution is to tell people not to use perl-core and to forget
about the fact it exists at all. Using perl-core is an anacronism.
Seems to me as if this is too hard for some people to comprehend.

Ralf