Filtering lib provides in XS packages?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sat Feb 28 12:36:45 UTC 2009

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 18:14:17 -0800
Chris Weyl <cweyl at alumni.drew.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Chris Weyl <cweyl at alumni.drew.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > Should we be filtering these private libs, to prevent "bad"
> > provides from polluting the repository/rpm metadata?
> >

> Replying to myself here, it looks like this is pretty
> straight-forward, if it's the right thing to do:
>
> # don't provide the private XS.so() lib
> %global _use_internal_dependency_generator 0
> %global __find_provides %{__perl_provides}

I do think that filtering these provides is the right thing to do but
I'm not sure about the approach. Whilst it should be fine for a regular
perl module package, it could cause problems for mixed-language
packages where there are other valid provides that should be included
but are not found by the perl provides script. An alternative approach
for such cases would be, e.g.

# don't provide the private XS.so lib
%global _use_internal_dependency_generator 0
%global provfind /bin/sh -c "%__find_provides | grep -v '^XS[.]so'"
%global __find_provides %provfind

Paul.